For the elderly, fall prevention means injury prevention. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), one out of three seniors will fall this year, but fewer than half of them will talk with their doctors about it. The CDC also states that falls are the number one cause of injuries in seniors, resulting in hip fractures, cuts, and even serious head and brain injuries that can become fatal. When an elderly person falls, the pressure from being on the floor for an extended period of time can also result in kidney failure and worsen other chronic diseases. In some cases, a fall can become so traumatizing that it will prevent seniors from ever performing certain activities again out of fear of another misstep.
Thankfully, falls don’t have to be an inevitable part of aging, as there are proven ways to reduce the risks of falling. If you have an aging parent, grandparent, or neighbor in your life, let us help you reduce their risk of falling in order to help them stay healthy and independent as long as possible.
At Aging Assistant, we focus on reducing the risk of injury and frequency of falls to encourage safe, independent at-home living. Here are some fall prevention care examples of the type of services we’re able to provide your loved one:
- Exercise: Range-of-motion exercise improves muscle tone, strength, and endurance (always seek advice from your doctor before beginning any exercise program)
- Safety and supervision: Fear of falling is a common anxiety among seniors. Caregivers are there to safely aide patients while walking or getting up from a chair.
- Medication reminders: Taking prescription medications on time can be a key factor in the health of your loved one and may prevent a fall from happening.
Don’t wait until an accident occurs to provide your loved one with the care and assistance they deserve and require.
- Tips for Seniors to Fight Insomnia - September 20, 2023
- The Benefits of Multigenerational Living for Seniors - September 6, 2023
- Companion Care at Home – Understanding the Benefits of Hypnotherapy For Seniors - August 15, 2023